The damage you sustain from a serious car accident in California can be severe. From treating your injuries to fixing your vehicle, the expenses can feel overwhelming. While a car accident attorney can help you recover compensation for your losses, there are some cases where your financial needs exceed the individual’s insurance policy limits. An individual’s insurance company is not entirely responsible or obligated to pay the total amount of awarded damages.
It is illegal in California to drive a motor vehicle without evidence of financial responsibility. Drivers must have some type of insurance that can cover medical expenses in the case of an accident. These insurance policies limit how much they can provide for an individual’s injuries and property damage. A car accident attorney can help guide you through the process of recovering compensation when the awarded damages exceed the party’s insurance policy limits.
How Can I Receive Compensation That Surpasses Insurance Policy Limits?
Most motor vehicle accident settlements do not exceed the at-fault driver’s insurance policy limits. However, when the acquired financial compensation is not enough to fully recover the harm inflicted, you can discuss some of the options below with a car accident lawyer:
- Bad Faith: If an insurance company tries to refuse to pay a policy holder’s claim, fails to investigate properly, or does not process the claim within a reasonable time, they are participating in “bad faith.” This can cause the insurance company to encounter harsh consequences.
- Umbrella Policies: In some cases, commercial, corporate, and sometimes individuals have an umbrella policy that offers extra coverage above the primary policy amount.
- Suing the At-Fault Driver: You can sue the at-fault driver for the difference in the policy limit. However, not all people can cover the remaining damage, making this option not always applicable.
- Suing Multiple Defendants: When multiple parties are involved in the accident, you can jointly hold them accountable for the rest of your losses.
Every accident and person is unique, so it is vital that you discuss your options with a car accident injury lawyer. They can help determine the best option to recover the compensation you deserve.
Why Should I Seek Assistance from a Personal Injury Lawyer?
With the help of a car accident injury lawyer, you will have an individual who is familiar with the law and its processes to guide you through your case. With unfamiliar terminology and complicated procedures, representing yourself can risk your compensation and rights. Consider the following ways a personal injury lawyer can help you:
- Reviewing legal documents
- Gathering evidence and documentation
- Establishing the other party’s negligence
- Conducting a thorough investigation
- Answering all your questions about the case
- Analyzing for any potential legal issues
- Discussing claims with insurance companies
A reliable lawyer will dedicate their time to help you recover your financial losses. At Younglove Law Group, you can count on our lawyers to protect your rights and interests. Our clients mean the world to us, and we are prepared to do everything we can for you to receive the best possible outcome.
Contact a Dependable Car Accident Lawyer at Younglove Law Group
Car accidents can result in severe injuries. The harm you sustain can cause debilitating, life-threatening injuries like broken bones to traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). Our experience at Younglove Law Group allows us to share our knowledge and resources with our clients. We have recovered more than $40 million in settlements and jury verdicts as well as provided trustworthy guidance to all our clients.