A California car accident may be stressful, even more so if the driver that caused the accident was a police officer. However, even the most careful police officers may become distracted while driving or violate their duty of care, resulting in a vehicle collision. Police cars are equipped with GPS devices, scanners, and laptops, requiring them to constantly pay attention to police dispatches and developing situations. Behind the wheel, these circumstances may be dangerous and lead to devastating injuries for the victim.
When a California car accident occurs due to negligence, even police officers may be held liable for injuries and damages incurred by the victim. Speak to an experienced California car accident lawyer at Younglove Law Group for a comprehensive assessment of your claim. We take a compassionate and personalized approach to representation and fight for your rights so you may recover the compensation you deserve for the losses you have suffered.
What to Do Following a California Police Car Accident
After experiencing a California car accident with a police officer, you may be overwhelmed with what to do. Like any other car collision, it is of the utmost importance to assess any injuries and move disabled vehicles to a safe location.
Consider following these steps to ensure your safety and rights are protected:
- Call 911 to dispatch first responders and an objective law enforcement officer to the scene
- Comply with first responders and provide a statement for the police report
- Consider obtaining picture and video evidence, including the positions of the cars, road conditions, traffic lights and stop signs, and any other vital details
- Speak to any witnesses and obtain contact information, including name and phone number
- Get a medical evaluation of all injuries in order to have evidence of medical diagnoses, treatment plans, medical costs, and other medical expenses
- Speak to a California car accident lawyer for skilled legal guidance surrounding your best legal options and how to navigate the legal complexities of a car accident claim involving a police officer
At Younglove Law Group, we are aggressive advocates of your legal rights and best interests. We work to recover the maximum, fair compensation you deserve for damages associated with your accident. We handle all essential aspects of your claim so you may focus on your recovery.
Who May Be Liable in a California Police Car Accident?
Liability in a California car accident is determined by negligence. In instances involving a police officer, this is still the case. More often, it is also essential to determine what the police officer was doing at the time of the accident. If you are able to prove driver negligence, you may recover compensatory damages for injuries and other losses from the city or county. Generally, accidents caused by police officers involve some sort of traffic violation or a combination of violations.
Common causes of California police car accidents include:
- Speeding or driving recklessly
- Running a traffic light
- Running a stop sign
- Driving the wrong way on a roadway
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
- Illegal left turn or U-turn
- Failure to signal
Any driver that violates traffic laws and causes a severe accident may be considered negligent and therefore liable for damages. However, there is an emergency vehicle exception that exempts emergency vehicles from standard traffic laws in the event of emergencies while using vehicle lights and sirens.
In order to prove that the police officer was not required to obey standard traffic laws, the officer must provide proof of the following:
- They were operating an authorized emergency vehicle
- They were responding to an emergency situation at the time of the accident
- They sounded a siren when necessary and flashed police lights
In order to prove negligence in a car accident involving a police officer, it is in your best interest to retain the help of a seasoned car accident lawyer at Younglove Law Group that is well-versed in California laws and statutes pertinent to your claim. We will conduct a detailed investigation into the accident, obtain necessary evidence, and build a solid case on your behalf to prove liability. Police car accident claims may be more complex than civilian car accident claims. We will aggressively fight for the justice and compensation you deserve.
Speak With Younglove Law Group for an Experienced California Car Accident Lawyer
If you have been significantly injured due to a California police car accident, speak to a seasoned car accident lawyer at Younglove Law Group. We understand that severe injuries, property damages, emotional suffering, and other burdens may take a toll following an accident and dealing with government bureaucracy may be stressful to handle alone. We handle all aspects of your claim with compassion and aggressive advocacy so you can rest assured that your rights are protected.
At Younglove Law Group, we have years of experience fighting for the rights of victims affected by negligence. We have achieved successful results for our California clients by recovering more than 40 million dollars in settlements and verdicts. Schedule your complimentary consultation so that we may help you during this difficult time at (949) 691-3660, or fill out our contact form.