The beautiful landscape of California makes it a popular biking destination. While biking may seem like a relatively safe activity, bikes encounter similar risks as traditional vehicles. Specifically, bikes lack a protective outer frame, putting cyclists at a greater risk for incurring severe injuries in the case of an accident. To avoid getting into an accident, it is best for cyclists to take preventive measures. If you or someone you know has recently been involved in a cycling accident, consult a skilled personal injury attorney. An experienced lawyer can examine the factors surrounding your claim to determine if you are eligible for compensation. Here are some tips for preventing bicycle accidents in California.
Tips for Preventing Bicycle Accidents in California
Cyclists are some of the most vulnerable people on the road. Pedestrians may be the only group that is more at-risk on byways than cyclists. While there are many inherent risks associated with biking, there are many ways you can reduce the risk of being involved in a bicycle accident. Some effective ways to protect yourself while on your bike include:
- Wear protective gear at all times. Be sure to get a helmet that fits properly and meets the safety requirements for the state you live in.
- Maximize your visibility. Whether you are riding during the day or night, it is important to make yourself as visible as possible. Make sure your bike has lights and reflective tape. This lets motorists see you with ease.
- Stay alert. When you are cycling, it should consume 100 percent of your attention. Using your phone, listening to music, or even taking a sip of water could cause an accident. If you need to do something, you should consider pulling over somewhere safe.
- Abide by traffic laws. As a cyclist, it is important to follow traffic laws at all times. If you are new to biking, you should ride with other people who have a thorough knowledge of California’s biking laws.
These are a few general tips for keeping yourself safe while cycling. However, sometimes cycling accidents happen. If you are involved in a cycling accident, there are some simple steps you can take to set yourself up for a successful claims process.
Steps to Take after a Bike Accident
It is important to do your best to prevent accidents and keep yourself safe. However, sometimes cycling accidents are inevitable. If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, it is important to take essential actions to help your claim process. Some steps to take after a bike accident include:
- Seek medical attention from a doctor. After an accident, it is important to receive a medical examination from a doctor—even if you do not have any immediately apparent injuries.
- File a police report. If you decide you want to pursue a personal injury claim, a police report will be an essential piece of evidence to substantiate the incident.
- Save copies of your medical bills and other accident-related documentation. Be sure to save any receipts and documentation related to your accident expenses, such as medical bills or bike repairs.
- Collect evidence from the scene. While this can be hard to do in the moments following an accident, using your phone to take pictures of the crash and damages to you and your bicycle can provide essential support during the claims process.
After bike accidents, it can be hard to gather the mental energy to take the necessary steps for your insurance claim. The best way to ensure you have a successful claims process is to work with a skilled personal injury lawyer.
Contact the California Bike Accident Attorneys at Younglove Law Group Today
In the aftermath of a bike accident, it is easy to feel overwhelmed with stress. Securing a skilled bike accident lawyer as soon as possible is the best way to ensure you take critical steps for your protection.
At Younglove Law Group, we are proud to offer quality legal representation to individuals who have suffered injuries from bike accidents in California. Our Newport Beach law firm focuses exclusively on personal injury cases and specializes in claims involving catastrophic and fatal injuries. Our attorneys take a client-focused approach to our cases, always ensuring our clients feel prioritized and heard. Call our top-rated car accident lawyers at (844) 810-1800 or fill out our online contact form for a free and confidential consultation.