Newport Beach Boat Accident Lawyer
With California’s warm climate, it is no surprise that boating is a common activity among citizens of the palm-studded state. While going boating can be exciting, it can also be dangerous. There are countless ways that people can be injured on boats. While most people driving a boat have to have a special type of license and training, accidents can still occur. If you have been injured in a boat accident in Newport Beach, California, it is your legal right to pursue compensation for your injuries by filing a claim.
Younglove Law Group Personal Injury & Accident Attorneys is a team of Newport Beach personal injury lawyers with extensive experience helping clients who have been injured in boat accidents. Our award-winning team of attorneys is proud to offer our clients with the trusted and knowledgeable representation they need to build a strong claim as they pursue fair compensation for their losses. Regardless of what caused your boat accident, our legal team has experience handling a wide variety of cases for clients in Newport Beach.
Should I Report a Boat Accident in Newport Beach?
After a boat accident in Newport Beach, one of the first steps you should take is to report the incident to local authorities. Legally, a boat owner or operator is required to report an accident to the California State Parks Division of Boating and Waterways if the incident results in an injury, disappearance, damage to the vessel or other property, or death. Depending on the specific details of the accident, there are specific time periods in which the accident must report:
- A boat accident must be reported within 48 hours if the circumstances include:
- Death occurring within 24 hours of the incident
- The disappearance of a person
- Injury beyond the ability to be healed by first aid
- Boat accidents must be reported within 10 days if the circumstances include:
- Death occurs more than 24 hours after the accident
- Property damage exceeding $500 or the complete loss of the vessel
When law enforcement arrives at the scene of a boat accident, they can call emergency medical personnel to the scene if needed. In addition, they will also provide a first-hand account of what they saw when they arrived at the report. This accident report can be a crucial piece of evidence for your boat accident claim. To get help obtaining the accident report, contact our Newport Beach legal team as soon as possible.
What Are Common Causes of Boat Accidents in Newport Beach, California?
When a boat accident occurs, it can help your claim to understand what exactly caused the unfortunate incident in the first place. There are many different ways in which a boat accident can occur in Newport Beach. While some boating accidents can occur as a result of human negligence, there are also circumstances that are out of our control like dangerous weather or debris in the water. Some of the most common causes of boating accidents include:
- A boat hits another boat
- A boat hitting another boat’s wake
- A boat hitting a large wave
- A boat hitting a submerged object, large rock, or land
One of our trusted boat accident lawyers can help you determine the specific cause of your accident and who is liable so that you can pursue fair compensation for your losses.
Damages You Can Collect Following a Boat Accident
If you have been injured in a boat accident, you have the legal right to pursue compensation for any losses you have suffered as a result of the at-fault party’s actions. The damages you can possibly recover following a boat accident in California are as follows:
- Medical expenses: Many victims of boating accidents suffer extensive injuries like broken bones or head trauma. As a result, there will be costly bills they have to pay in order to fully recover.
- Lost wages: If your injuries have prevented you from being able to do your job, you should receive compensation for the wages you have lost as a result.
- Lost earning potential: This applies when you are no longer able to perform at your job as you once did due to your injuries. As a result, you should be compensated for any earning potential you lost.
- Property damage: If your vessel or other property is damaged in the accident, you should be compensated for the cost to repair or replace it.
- Pain and suffering: Victims of boating accidents often suffer immense physical and emotional pain. You should be compensated for any pain and suffering you have had to endure.
If you are unsure what damages you can collect, our knowledgeable legal team can help by going over the specific details of your claim.
Speak With a Newport Beach Boat Accident Lawyer Today
Younglove Law Group Personal Injury & Accident Attorneys is proud to offer clients the experience necessary to help victims of boat accidents in Newport Beach. Our top-rated legal team provides our clients with the knowledgeable representation they need to build a strong claim and pursue the fair compensation they are owed. Schedule a free case review with one of our trusted boat accident lawyers today by contacting us here or calling (949) 691-3660.