HUNTINGTON BEACH WRONGFUL DEATH LAWYER
Dealing with the sudden loss of a loved one can be challenging, but when reality hits on the effects on your finances, things become even more challenging. Fortunately, California law allows you to seek monetary damages for the wrongful death of your loved one due to someone’s negligence. Even if the negligent person is not convicted under any criminal law, they can still be made to compensate you for the damages resulting from the death of your family member.
A Huntington Beach wrongful death lawyer from Younglove Law Group can help you through this difficult time. Our lawyers will help you prove negligence and get just compensation for your loss from the party at fault.
What Causes a Wrongful Death?
A wrongful death occurs because of other parties’ careless and irresponsible actions. The following are some typical causes of wrongful death:
- Car, truck, and motorcycle accidents from speeding, disobeying traffic signs or signals, distracted driving, and driving while intoxicated.
- Slip-and-fall accidents due to property owners and managers neglecting regular maintenance or repairs, failing to alert visitors of dangerous situations, or disobeying customary safety precautions.
- Faulty product incidents due to manufacturer’s or distributor’s negligence.
- Industrial and construction accidents.
- Medical negligence.
If you believe that the death of a loved one was a result of one of these causes or any other case of potential negligence, speak to a lawyer at Younglove Law Group. Our wrongful death attorneys can help you establish the cause of the death and identify the at-fault party.
Who Can Claim Compensation for Wrongful Death
The following people or entities can submit a wrongful death claim per California law:
- A surviving domestic partner or spouse
- Children of the deceased
- Grandchildren of the deceased, if the children are also deceased
- Stepchildren or parents, if they were dependent on the deceased
- Parents or guardians of the deceased child under the age of 18
- Any minor living with the deceased at least 180 days before the death
A knowledgeable and experienced wrongful death attorney at Younglove Law Group can help you ascertain your eligibility to assert a wrongful death claim since they understand the applicable legislation and exceptions to these general rules.
How Is Liability for Wrongful Death Determined?
To hold a defendant accountable for wrongful death, you must demonstrate that the defendant was at fault. You need to prove that they engaged in negligent behavior that contributed to the accident resulting in the death of your loved one.
For a wrongful death lawsuit resulting from someone else’s negligence to be successful, you must prove the following components of negligence:
- Duty of care: The defendant owed the deceased a duty of care.
- Breach of duty: The defendant failed to carry out their duty of care.
- Causation: The defendant’s breach of their duty resulted in the death of the deceased.
- Damages: The death of the deceased caused damages to you and your family.
A Huntington Beach wrongful death attorney can help conduct an exhaustive investigation to establish the party at fault. In most cases, only one party is liable, but in some instances, more than one party could be responsible. Due to the substantial damages involved in wrongful death claims, even defendants who only partially caused the incident can be made to pay large awards to wrongful death claimants.
What Damages Can a Wrongful Death Claim Recover?
Many of the same types of damages that plaintiffs could seek in personal injury lawsuits can be recovered by the plaintiff in wrongful death claims. However, the forms of compensation a plaintiff can obtain are a little more open-ended under California’s wrongful death statutes.
According to California state law, wrongful death claims can properly seek damages for the following:
- Lost financial assistance they would have received from the deceased had they lived.
- Lost gifts or benefits they would have received from the deceased.
- Funeral and burial costs
- Compensation for the value of household services lost.
- The value of the loss of the enjoyment of sexual relations due to the deceased’s death.
- And often most significantly, the lost companionship, protection, affection, and guidance.
Our Huntington Beach wrongful death lawyers can help you determine the damages that apply in your case. We will fight to help ensure that you get compensated adequately for your loss.
Why Should You Hire a Huntington Beach Wrongful Death Lawyer?
An experienced wrongful death lawyer understands all the legal details to help you get the most out of your claim. Most of the time, insurance companies will try to lower the amount of compensation as much as possible, but our lawyers can fight for a fair settlement.
Here are some of the ways our lawyers can help with your wrongful death case:
- Finding the at-fault party.
- Gathering evidence to prove negligence.
- Filing a lawsuit for wrongful death in court.
- Out-of-court mediation for a fair settlement.
- Representation at trial.
Although filing a wrongful death claim can be a drawn-out and challenging procedure, trials are uncommon since most cases are resolved out of court. If necessary, a qualified and competent attorney will assist you in obtaining compensation and represent you in court.
Contact a Huntington Beach Wrongful Death Lawyer From Younglove Law Group Today
Sudden death in the family can be heartbreaking and very difficult to deal with. It can be challenging to face legal proceedings while also processing your emotions without the proper legal assistance. When you seek the advice of a knowledgeable and sympathetic Huntington Beach wrongful death attorney, your family can have peace of mind.
Younglove Law Group works to offer your family dependable, sympathetic legal representation that takes into account your specific needs. We handle every wrongful death claim in our law firm at a personal level and at no cost unless you win. Call us at (949) 691-3660 or fill out our contact form to speak with a wrongful death lawyer in Huntington Beach who can explain your legal options.